[RESOLVED] Scenery CFG Error

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
machie

[RESOLVED] Scenery CFG Error

Post by machie »

Hi All

Happy New Year to All!
I have ben trying to re-install my new copy of Prepar V3.1 for three days---I did a complete uninstall as completly as possible but every time I try to poen the program i get this message SCENERY.CFG file error.
Scenery's remote directory is invalid:
Would you like to unload this area

Then when i click OK and go to the next screen it tells me that Prepar 3D cannot run without a valid scenery cfg file and that I must uninstall and reinstall Prepar---I then click Abort and the program quits----I can do this over and over again to no avail.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Dorn Cranert
Tokitaumelie

Re: Scenery CFG Error

Post by Tokitaumelie »

Hi Dorn

Navigate to the following location (you will need to enable hidden files in Explorer):

C>Program Data>Lockheed Martin>Prepar3D v3

In the folder you will find your scenery.cfg file. Rename the file to scenery.cfg.backup and then try and reload P3D.
If it loads normally, note that the downside is that you may no longer have any addon scenery that was installed after P3D Base had been installed.

Also, if it loads normally, there is a method to repair the old scenery.cfg file, if you want to regain your installed addon scenery however it will require editing the entries in that folder. If you are not comfortable with editing the file than just reinstalling the addon scenery, so that it is registered in the newly created scenery.cfg, may be be a cleaner solution.

Keep us posted on your progress and hope things work out

PS: Be sure to post all addon sceneries you had installed after P3D, including any AI Traffic Addons, if the Sim continues to stall on start.
Michar83

Post by Michar83 »

I'm having the exact same issue as Machie.
I've uninstalled the v3.0 client, and then installed the v3.1 client.msi. Per official install update instruction.

Unfortunately, it seems now that the scenery.cfg got corrupted in the process, and now P3D will abort startup after clicking away numerous scenery.cfg errors (same as stated in original post).

I've now tried your suggestion Tokitaumelie, but this doesn't change anything in my case.
Still getting the same error pop-ups on initialization of P3D.

Any help appreciated, as I just finished completely setting up my sim in v3.0, and do not care to invest all this time again to get v3.1 set up from scratch again.

I would be comfortable with manually editing the scenery.cfg, however at this moment have no clue what needs to be fixed :(.
Tokitaumelie

Post by Tokitaumelie »

Michar83 wrote:I'm having the exact same issue as Machie.
I've uninstalled the v3.0 client, and then installed the v3.1 client.msi. Per official install update instruction.

Unfortunately, it seems now that the scenery.cfg got corrupted in the process, and now P3D will abort startup after clicking away numerous scenery.cfg errors (same as stated in original post).

I've now tried your suggestion Tokitaumelie, but this doesn't change anything in my case.
Still getting the same error pop-ups on initialization of P3D.

Any help appreciated, as I just finished completely setting up my sim in v3.0, and do not care to invest all this time again to get v3.1 set up from scratch again.

I would be comfortable with manually editing the scenery.cfg, however at this moment have no clue what needs to be fixed :(.

Hi

I'm not sure if your issues are similar.
Have a look at this thread:

http://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=11379

You could also have a look at this in relation to manually editing the scenery.cfg - may be cumbersome if you have a lot of addon scenery

viewtopic.php?t=115582

Hope this helps and regards

BTW - check if you have a backup scenery,cfg in your Program Data Folder. That could help.
Last edited by Tokitaumelie on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokitaumelie

Post by Tokitaumelie »

machie wrote:Hi All

Happy New Year to All!
I have ben trying to re-install my new copy of Prepar V3.1 for three days---I did a complete uninstall as completly as possible but every time I try to poen the program i get this message SCENERY.CFG file error.
Scenery's remote directory is invalid:
Would you like to unload this area

Then when i click OK and go to the next screen it tells me that Prepar 3D cannot run without a valid scenery cfg file and that I must uninstall and reinstall Prepar---I then click Abort and the program quits----I can do this over and over again to no avail.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Dorn Cranert
Dorn

Have you tried running a repair install?
Michar83

Post by Michar83 »

Tokitaumelie wrote: I'm not sure if your issues are similar.

You could also have a look at this in relation to manually editing the scenery.cfg - may be cumbersome if you have a lot of addon scenery

viewtopic.php?t=115582

BTW - check if you have a backup scenery,cfg in your Program Data Folder. That could help.

Thanks for your response!

I messed around for a bit, and then found that the installer wasn't automatically pointed to my actual install folder. Hence the new prepar3d.exe was installed in default install location on my C drive, where P3D wasn't actually installed.
So I uninstalled the client-portion, and reinstalled with the installer redirected to my actual P3D install folder. Problems solved.

Just one of those Homer Simpson's "Dooohh", hit myself on the forehead, moments. *shame*
Tokitaumelie

Post by Tokitaumelie »

Michar83 wrote:
Tokitaumelie wrote: I'm not sure if your issues are similar.

viewtopic.php?t=115582

Thanks for your response!

I messed around for a bit, and then found that the installer wasn't automatically pointed to my actual install folder. Hence the new prepar3d.exe was installed in default install location on my C drive, where P3D wasn't actually installed.
So I uninstalled the client-portion, and reinstalled with the installer redirected to my actual P3D install folder. Problems solved.

Just one of those Homer Simpson's "Dooohh", hit myself on the forehead, moments. *shame*
Glad you figured things out.
Happens to me all the time@Dooohhh moments

Regards